Eye disease can cause severe impairment and can even lead to permanent vision loss. While there's no way to completely prevent eye disease, regular eye exams make it possible to detect and treat diseases in the early stages. At Eyes on 45th in Fargo, we can help patients manage diseases of the eye.
Common Types of Eye Disease
While many diseases affect the eye, some conditions are more severe than others. Some of the most common eye diseases include:
- Glaucoma: Glaucoma is a group of diseases that damage the optic nerve. It typically occurs when the fluid pressure in the eye increases.
- Cataracts: This condition occurs when the lens of the eye becomes clouded, making it more difficult to see. While the risk of cataracts increases in seniors, this disease can affect people of all ages.
- Macular degeneration: Frequently referred to as age-related macular degeneration (AMD), this eye disease is strongly correlated with advanced age. It occurs when the central part of the retina deteriorates.
- Diabetic retinopathy: This diabetes complication is the leading cause of blindness in seniors. It causes damage to the blood vessels in the retina.
- Dry eyes syndrome: People with dry eye syndrome suffer from chronically dry eyes. This can cause persistent discomfort and irritation.
Diagnosing and Managing Eye Disease
While there are symptoms associated with eye diseases, these symptoms may not appear until after the condition has progressed. Comprehensive eye exams with an optometrist are the best way to detect eye disease. Diseases of the eye can't always be cured, but eye disease management can control the symptoms and prevent vision loss.
At Eyes on 45th, we use optomap ultra-widefield retinal imaging to closely examine the retina. This allows us to identify signs of retinal damage or eye disease before you experience any changes to your vision. An optomap is fast, painless, and provides us with detailed information about the health of your eyes.
If you are diagnosed with an eye disease, there are a variety of treatments that can help you manage your condition. In addition to closely monitoring the health of your eyes, we may recommend additional therapies, including lifestyle changes and medicated eye drops. Surgical procedures, such as laser eye surgery or a vitrectomy, may also be recommended.
Visit Our Optometrists in Fargo, ND
Annual eye exams are the best way to keep your eyes healthy. At Eyes on 45th, we offer a wide range of eye care services, including comprehensive eye exams and eye disease management. To request an appointment with one of our optometrists or schedule your next eye exam, call our team today at (701) 492-3937.